I know it’s not Christmas anymore... but it’s cold outside and these are warm.
I’ve tried other recipes before, but they weren’t quite what I was hoping for. I saw this recipe in a cookbook my sisters got me for my birthday. It’s everything I wanted it to be. Gingery warm, slightly crisp on the outside, and chewy without being gooey. Let’s make cookies together.
Grab your flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda and salt. Mix together then set aside.
Beat the shortening with a mixer (stand or hand) until soft.
Gradually beat in the sugar.
Beat in eggs and molasses.
Once fully incorporated, gradually mix in as much of the flour mixture as you can.
Mix the rest in with a spoon.
Using a 1/4 cup, scoop dough and roll into balls.
Coat each ball in sugar. Bake at 350° for 14 minutes.
Cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes.
Then cool completely on a wire rack.
Chewy gingerbread Cookie recipe
Makes 24 giant cookies.
(you could easily make them half the size, just decrease your baking time.)
4 1/2 cups Flour
4 teaspoons Ginger
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 1/2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups Shortening
2 cups Sugar
1/2 cup molasses
3/4 cup sugar for coating
- Beat shortening with a mixer until soft.
- Gradually add the 2 cups of sugar.
- Beat in the eggs and molasses.
- Slowly add the flour mixture and mix as much in as possible with the mixer. Mix the rest in with a spoon.
- Using a 1/4 cup roll the dough into balls.
- Coat with sugar and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 14 minutes. Cool for 2 minutes on the cookie sheet then cool fully on a wire rack.
Is there something you want to make together? Let me know in the comments.